View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #77
Vic1947

Re: '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan

On New Years Day, Scott came over and helped us move CRLS to the upstairs garage and then roll the '57 into the workshop. The immediate goal was to get the front clip mods done so I could remove the parts and get them to George at Eagle Stripping. Schedule is to have the car at Precision Collision no later than the first of March. So the final bodywork and fitment has to happen quickly.

First on the list was frenching in the headlights. No matter what I end up with for a bumper, the bug eyes had to go. AutoLoc makes a headlight frenching kit that has the buckets and the rings, but I already had '56 Ford truck headlight rings. Their kit costs around $350 which made me gulp a little bit. In the end I reasoned I could make my own buckets for just a few bucks if I carefully cut out the stock mounting surface and moved it back the amount needed. So I measured the diameter, made a template and transferred it to the mounting pad on the fender. Used an air saw with a thin kerf, fine tooth blade to cut it out. I estimated that a 2" recess would be about right, so I took some 2" wide sheet metal strips and formed them around one of my welding cylinders and spot welded them into a ring.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote