View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
Shifty One

Sound advice from a rookie

I've recently bought an 87 V20, and need audio suggestions. The truck still has a two-post, but it has been replaced by a now-dead Kenwood, and the doors have been cut for 5-1/4's, which are dead as well.

I've been spoiled by my other vehicles already having good sound systems put in my previous owners, and I really am worthless when it comes to electrical work.

I've just bought a Kenwood (KMM-BT308U) receiver with iPod port, with plans to try to do this myself, but it looks as if I'll pay someone to do it for me. Basically, I don't really listen to broadcast radio, so I don't much care if anything related to it works or not.

I do plan to Duramat, or something similar, and currently I don't even have carpet, just the vinyl floor mat.

I'm not looking for a high-end, competition system, just something to plug my iPod into, and hear it nicely on my way to and from work.

Obviously, the 5-1/4"s aren't enough, and I don't see using the center dash-mount speaker as useful.

Info: This truck has the Scottsdale package, and no factory headliner or pillar mouldings, so mounting something there is out too. From everything I'm reading, it looks like kick-panels, which would be right next to the door cut-outs, underseat or the mounting boxes in the cab corners for 6"x9"'s. I can't go behind the seat (I think) because I need it back as far as it will go.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and remember that I'm a dullard when it comes to electronics/electrical.
Shifty One is offline   Reply With Quote