View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #1313
ryanroo

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I scanned a copy of the frame dimensions out of my service manual to help sketch things too. I got a price on 2" .120 wall DOM tubing of $4/ft. About twice the cost of mild steel pipe. And I ordered a woodward fab tube notcher off amazon last night. Good price and the reviews were generally good around the web for it. It's not the nice expensive kind. Hopefully will work good enough for this project.
that notcher looks fine. the one i have looks like a kindergartner made it and it has make thousands of copes.

please dont use pipe. there is no point it using inferior materials after you spend so much time and effort on the design and all the associated parts. pipe is not desdigned to handle load in the same way mechanical tube is. it is also dimensioned oddly for the easy to find weld bungs. if you dont want to pay the premium for DOM, you can use HREW and still have a tube, not a pipe. as we like to say, pipe is for poop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Tube bender plans are available. I have plans for a couple different designs now. A nice JD2 Model 3 bender costs about $300, but the dies for 1-3/4" or 2" tubing are around $300 each and are needed for home built benders too. The reviews for using the cheapo HF hydraulic benders are mixed. Some say don't even try to do tubing with it, others say it works fine as long as you use the correct size die. Also filling the tube with sand prior to bending keeps the tube rounder and kink free. I may pick one up and try it out. If it's a no go then just return it to HF.
again, dont thing that money saved here is a good thing. that is a conduit bender at best. filling the tube with sand or any other excuse to use these for a bender is just that, excuse. these should be called kinkers not benders. if you are making a cage, there is no point in making it wrong and these will ruin every tube you try to bend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Mike, are you good at Tig and are you using high carbon steel? Are you running the Tig off a synchrowave? I'm looking for my tank receipt to see what I paid.
so far as i know, synchrowave is a brand name for miller machines. it doesnt have anything to do with the actual welder output.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote