View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #14
Kingmike

Re: 1958 Chevy Roadmaster

Hi all, back with an update, we've spent some more time on Dad's 4x4 mostly mechanical clean up, installed a lock up kit in 700r4 to get rpms down while cruising( very nice improvement!) installed a module to indicate gear selection for the Dakota digital gauge cluster he has had for years, but the old generation of truck used a floor shifter that had indicator but this truck now has column shift. We also replaced the pressure treated bed floor that lasted almost twenty years and although quite faded and minor cracking, held up quit well, However when looking at the truck as a whole the bed floor was probably the only part that was untouched and looked as such. We installed new Brazilian hard wood (ipe) that I had left over from building my deck, and it looks sharp, I will post pics of that later. But, we also got to spend some time on my 58 also, the bed has been on and off multiple times to figure out what we were going to do with the fuel fill. We decided on adding a fuel fill door in the bed floor, happy with the end result, but not the location I wanted. We went with a roll pan out back and I was looking to hide the fill behind flip down license plate, but the bed sits so low that the fill would only allow me to fill the tank half way before running back out the fill. and I'm using the stock Buick tank with center rear inlet, It would have been difficult to run the fill piping to the bed side, with the length and multiple 90 degree turns , I thought I might have filling issues, so that is why it ended up where it did. With the roll pan we added the 89 caddy tail light buckets and shaved the original fuel door. We also put some thought into back up lights. I bought these 12 volt leds online, (with some help of this forum!)we made a die for a regular knock out set, to press recessions for the lights to reside in the roll pan, pretty happy with the outcome and locations . I think it gives a modern look of almost like new cars with back up sensors. with the new bed and other little mods I think it fits... On with some pics

Kingmike is offline   Reply With Quote