View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #271
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

Well, no pictures yet but I made a little progress over the weekend. Finished stripping the paint from the hood, scuffed the new fenders and got them all shot in epoxy primer on Saturday. Sunday I attempted to get them all mounted up on the truck. Took almost 2 hours I think, but I did manage to get the passenger side fender on and lined up to where I'm happy with it. Couple more hours on the driver side and I am NOT happy with it. The contour on the back end of the fender (that lines up with the door) seems too flat. Makes the fender too tall and leaves the edge of the door sticking out almost 1/4" further than the fender edge, even with 3 shims holding the fender out. Think its going to have to come back off and I'm going to have to figure out how to bend the mounting bracket (the one that sticks into the upper doorframe) so it holds the fender out further.

My plan has been to get the truck back together, do the featherfill & block sanding, pull it all apart to paint, and then reassemble. Well, just trying to get these fenders mounted I've buggered up the primer on the fenders and doors. Too much prying involved to get things lined up and no reason to believe that it will go together any smoother the second time. Think I'm going to have to paint jams and backside of panels, reassemble, then paint the parts that show. At this point, I'm just hoping that once I'm happy with the fenders the hood will go on right

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote