View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
Kim57

Re: Thinking of going Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I looked into this last year, lease wise the numbers never worked, savings where to small for consideration. Buying took 14 years to break even. Not to bad but no one would talk life expectancy of the equipment or how much efficiency would degrade over time. Major headache when reroofing is needed. I think it's going to take some more time for the technology to evolve and the cost to come to make it attractive for me. It's still on my radar. On a side note, our utility bills plummeted when we became empty nesters. Had I researhed this when all the kids where here my decision would have likey be different.
I felt the same as you did. In the past a purchase never made sense because of the long wait for the break even point.
The lease made it much more attractive for us and after talking to my neighbors who have had it a while I should do all right.
As far as warranty the panels are good for 25 years and the inverters go for 10 but it's all covered for the life of my lease which is 20 years.
Kim