View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #197
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Ok back at it! The next adventure for Paintman is seat belts. As mentioned previously the door pillar on the 46 is way to small to have any hope in mounting the belt slide. I had considered a 4 or 5 point harness but that seemed to be even more trouble figuring out a safe mounting configuration. With a racing type harness set up, if you do not have the mounting points in the right geometry to one another, there is a good chance having your back compressed or even broken in an accident.
Sooooo after a quick click on the "Buy it Now" button, a set of Juliano's bench seat belts were on their way. Here's what comes in the box.
[/URL]
[/URL]
So now that I have all the pieces, I can further evaluate just how much room I will need on the door pillar to mount the bracket. From what I understand the bracket needs to be directly above the locking mechanism which will be mounted on the floor behind there seat riser. If I just add a little more material to the pillar it still would not put the bracket above the locking mechanism and it's to far forward. It seems to me it has to go up and back
[/URL]
[/URL]

So here's my plan. I made a template out of cardboard to see what a larger pillar would look like. I don't think just butt welding a piece to the pillar would be strong enough in the case of an accident. I think what I will do is tuck a piece of 18 gauge behind the pillar, make a bunch of small holes in the pillar, and butt weld it in place. Then go along the entire length of the seem and weld it all in place. Here's a pic of the cardboard tucked in tight behind the pillar and cab frame work. Anybody see anything wrong with how I plan on welding this in place? Any better or stronger way to do this??????
[/URL]
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote