View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Mike C

Re: What to bring on 1000 mile road trip with a truck I've never seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasey Harley View Post
Get a AAA gold card. Cost about a hunderd twenty dollars, and they will tow you 100 miles 5 times per year ( back to back to back to back to back, if nesecarry) they will also change belts & hoses, erc. on the road.
Also bring jerkey, cash and a credit card.
Good luck, I do love an adventure!!
I assume you are flying in/driving out? I did a trip like that 18 years ago but rode out to the middle of nowhere to buy a 72 Suburban. Only a 300 mile trip though. Great condition they said. Good tires!. I took belts, hoses, coolant, changed oil before we left, air tank, and my tools. But what I didn't have was tires. They were terrible. First one lost all its tread within 200 yards of where we started from. But the spare held air. Did finally make it home, but tires was my issue. The trip included trading wheels (16's on the truck spare was 16.5) and buying used tires for all the cash we had. $37.50 so the tires weren't much...Small town used tire guy took no credit cards and cell didn't work...

I'd go to a Jiffy Lube type place and have all of the fluids changed along with a radiator flush and new hoses and belts put on.

Good luck and keep us updated!
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote