View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Elston Gunn

1986 K1500 Starting Problem After Cleaning Q-Jet

Okay so carb was gummed up bad. It is a Quadrajet M4MED. Engine is a 4.3l v6. I took carb off, did a pine sol soak, then a water/dish soap soak. Inside wasn't as dirty as expected.

So I put it back on, hooked all vac lines up how they should be. Thing looks nice sitting in there...
Went to turn it over, first couple times seemed like it was gonna go, then nothing.
Kept trying..all I got was clicking from what i guess is the m/c solenoid. Tried putting gas in the float bowls. After a few tries, there is nothing at all.
Can't see how it would be a starter because the truck started fine and ran decent before I took off carb to clean it...was just running rich but when I went to adjust idle screws, i noticed how gummed up it was and just decided to take it off and clean. Truck always started right up since I got it (two months ago). Replaced everything exactly how it was. Don't know what to do from here... New to carbureted engines.....
Air filter not on have an effect? Would it start if I put the air cleaner on? stupid question but I didn't think it would matter just starting it with it off?
Did I mess up the m/c solenoid by soaking it? I soaked whole carb as I read was okay (maybe not, not realizing the m/c solenoid) dried it out with air compressor. Any tips or suggestions would be great
Elston Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote