View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #22
rs74

Re: 84 Short Bed diesel. Project Driver.

I have to say after putting on the new governor gear and driving the truck for two days I am quite impressed with it. The new gear allowed the transmission to finally shift out of first since the gear was broken. The transmission works but doesn't alway catch overdrive. Sometimes it will be like it completely misses overdrive so I have to down shift to drive and let it catch then up shift back to overdrive. I am going to change the fluid and filter and going to add a bottle of Lucas.

Other than that I am quite impressed with the diesel engine in this short bed. It runs pretty dang good although it smokes a little when on the throttle. The engine pulls really well. It came factory with 3.08 gears so I am assuming that is what is still in there. I am wondering if this truck only has 138,000 miles on it by the way it runs and the odometer numbers seem to be pretty straight across.

I need to put a set of tires on it since it has what feels like a broken belt. I am going to put a set of wheels off my other short bed on it tomorrow along with the trans. fluid change. The wheels are 15x10's with 295/50's all the way around. The tires are new but I still want to get a set of rallies and put a different set of tires on it. I have a vacuum line broke off the firewall not letting the heater to switch positions. Hopefully that is all it is. The little line is broke in two. I am going to just get a little piece of rubber line to splice them back together. A radiator and heater core flush is coming too. While on the lift tomorrow I can get a better look at the underneath of the truck. Will check the front end and anything else out that I can while under there. I know I have a bad ground on the drivers tank. It reads past full but the passenger tank reads like it should. I want to get that fixed so I can see what kind of mileage this little truck gets. More to come.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote