View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #162
Vic1947

Re: '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Nice work Vic, and thanks for the help on the lug nut spacers and blocking tutorial crash course. I can really appreciate how much time and skill goes into blocking any fender but especially those fenders you have with all the contours on it. That inner fender you repair looks great too.
Thanks, Scott. Anytime you want to listen to me cuss, just come on over while I'm doing body work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Looks like you'll be taking care of another one for a while. That's a drag Vic but at least you'll have a spare.
That's what Kathy said, John. You never know, a rock chip can ruin a perfectly good windshield at any time. A third of the cost is the truck freight, so there's no point in sending it back.

Today made it all the way up to 20 degrees and there's an inch of new snow on the ground. Nevertheless, I was determined to spray the Slick Sand on the parts that were ready. Covered up as much as I could and blasted away. After about 5 minutes, my shoes were sticking to the floor, but I stayed with it. After using all the material I had on hand, I quickly opened the garage door and turned on the floor fan. A few minutes later it was freezing, but the air was clear so I closed the door and let the heater work its magic.

I had mistakenly thought the hood only needed blocking because the underside had seam sealer between the substructure and the skin, plus it was all dressed in a smooth coat of primer. So I used some 320 grit on the DA to clean it up and lo and behold, it needed some serious attention. That's what I get for crowing to Steve that I was all but done with mixing putty. Better to find out now. I'd been contemplating sending the parts to Precision without reassembling the front clip for the third time. Now I'm not so sure. I don't remember doing it, but a close examination of the hood shows that I removed the skin and then reattached it somewhere back in the mists of time. I reckon I should put it all together one last time just to insure the hood isn't all torqued out of shape. Ford guys will notice the hood is from a '58 cause yours truly liked the factory "scoop". I gave the original to my brother when he was working on a similar project and it's history now. So this one better work.

The door handles and window cranks arrived today. Kathy picked up the arm rests from the anodizer yesterday and it all looks good together. Break time is about over, so I need to get back to the shop and hit it some more. Later.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote