Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 12:19 AM   #716
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

so this Z-bar, well that's more than just a hollow pipe I tell you, there's quite a bit of engineering that goes into this rascal, literally

doing a clutch job where you replace the fly wheel, pilot bushing, clutch plate, clutch pressure plate housing, and throwout bearing, and not going the extra mile to take care of the 40 year old linkage is like quitting a marathon on mile 25

so when I peaked inside my Z-bar formerly the bar known as the bellcrank, I noticed right away it was missing a plastic bushing on the clutch side (white piece second from the left in the picture was missing originally) metal on metal didn't make for the smoothest of actions, it actually wore a groove in the pipe (I might could replace the entire Z-bar, we'll see), add to that dried up grease, dust, and rust, and kiss your smooth action good bye, so... I went out and bought some replacement plastic bushings and these silly felt gaskets, third piece from the right (pretty worthless universal junk)

so here is my attempt at breaking down it's anatomy (pretty much all there except I am missing what I call a star washer in front of the bolt on the far right, space left open)
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote