View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
jocko

Re: Very nice looking '72 4x4 on Ebay

I'd love to find a factory k10 or 20 highlander too Bladeboy - but I don't believe they exist. Like srvivor71, I prefer my 4x4s as lwb. And I'm still looking for my holy grail truck... Having said that - when trucks approach this level of $$$, I think it's worthwhile to point out potential concerns just in case a newb is looking at buying. Not for the purpose of nitpicking, rather for the purpose of helping folks know what to consider so they can buy informed.

My 2c:
- Beautiful truck, but being a fan of correctness when someone is selling a Super above the $20k mark... here's what jumps out at me and might give a potential buyer a list of things to ask the seller

- SPID says YE9 Cheyenne Super, but it is missing the glovebox door aluminum tray under the woodgrain, missing the correct Super woodgrain dash, missing the 72 Super aluminum tailgate cover, has the incorrect seat cover installed (but seller points this out, so he gets a pass), and, a few additional things that REALLY get my attention (I would want to get clarified before I bought):
- it LOOKS like the SPID is missing the clear cover that should be there on a 72. But the SPID clearly calls out a YE9 - and is missing the above noted aluminum tray. Bottom line, make sure the SPID matches the frame and VIN tag.
- take a close look at the interior of the driver door. My imagination or is that a huge dent that's been painted over? If so, to me, that is an indication of overall workmanship, sorry, even if the outside looks nice. Seems very out of place on this otherwise very nicely done truck.
- also note the opening line of the ad description, the seller lists the previous douchebag buyer that bailed on him BY NAME and GIVES HIS LOCATION. No matter how much of a douchebag the previous bailing buyer was, you just don't do that - sorry. Surprised ebay hasn't pulled the plug on his ad - they could be in hot water leaving it up there like that. All silly, but true.

Anyway - all these things (to me) are reasons to do your homework well when paying this much $$ for a very nice looking truck. The stakes are high when it's a somewhat rare Cheyenne Super 4x4 and it's good to go into your "negotiation" with some ammunition and it's good to be able to confirm what you're buying with confidence - or at least buy it informed if it's not what it appears to be. My guess is it's all legit, but these are the things I'd check before I bought my dream truck.

EDIT: I didn't mention the big block - seller openly states it's a swap, so good on him. BUT, openly or not, it does/can affect price point on a truck that costs this much. It's not numbers matching and that's ok(!) but it's certainly a consideration in value.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote