View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #3
El Dorado Jim

Re: 2 wheel drive to 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstedcomeback View Post
I'm doing the same thing right now. I have a 71 and I'm in Santa Rosa. the easiest way is to swap the frames. I picked up a frame from Livermore a couple months back. here is a link to one that in Petaluma. it already has a 4' lift, comes with 3/4 ton dana 44 front, 14 bolt rear and a 4 speed/NP205 combo. the guy says it has dana 60's front and rear but its a dana 44 and a 14 bolt. if you dont want a 3/4 ton I could help you with all the parts to change the axles to a 6 lug, I have tons of extra parts. this frame is the best way to go. swap your parts over and go. everything is bolt on.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/4802493989.html

If you try to convert the 2wd frame, It will require a ton of fabricating and welding the frame/ front suspension. The frames are different widths in the front. I would go the easy route and pick up the frame.
definitely start with a 4x4 frame,or pick up a beater donor truck,then you have all the parts you need..me and my son converted his 70 gmc longbed 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive,we picked up a 4x4 frame and had to find all the pieces at swap meets,pick n pull, and local paper , we needed springs, crossmember for motor,etc, used axles from a 74 3/4 ton,had to move the spring perches and shock mounts on the rear axle, had to find drivelines, trans/ transcase, etc....took awhile to find the parts, when we were almost done,we came across a donor truck fairly cheap,but didn't need it by then,would have made the job a whole lot easier.......I will try and post pics of his truck soon

Last edited by El Dorado Jim; 02-21-2015 at 06:48 AM.
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote