View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 06:56 AM   #868
disasterbus

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Awesome Score on the cabinet and the Fire Bell...

What, No pix of the Mini???
Thanks for the kind words about my truck Don. It’s a work in progress with plenty still to do but I really like it and it’s definitely a ‘keeper’. Rian will vouch for the fact that that’s unusual for me – I love classic cars and have always got one of some description, but usually I rarely keep them long, preferring to change them every few months so I always have a new ‘toy’.
These were mine recently……….

The truck is different – I have long term plans for it. The only other car I class as a ‘keeper’ is my Mini. This is about the 10th Mini I’ve owned but I can’t see myself ever selling it.
Bought new by my wife’s uncle. He just walked into his local dealer to order a new Austin Metro but was told they had stopped making them. ‘OK’ he said ‘what other small cars do you have?’
This Mini was in the showroom, one of the very last ever made before BMW took over and the Mini changed completely. Out of 5,387,362 built between 1959 and 2000, this one is the 4,852nd from last proper Mini ever built.

He did less than 1000 miles per year, preferring to cycle everywhere (even though he was in his mid-70’s). He had the car for 8 years before failing health forced him to give up driving. One day, out of the blue, he rang and offered me the car.

Just to give you an idea of size, my son’s Mini parked next to the truck!

The Mini is a genuine Cooper, and has done less than 12,000 from new. Needless to say it’s tucked away for the winter at the moment!
disasterbus is offline   Reply With Quote