Thread: 1 Ton Revival
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
urmyboyblue

Re: 1 Ton Revival

The one ton pictures are the ones the seller posted to sell the one ton- not taken in the past month.

My 65 is a long term project that I have had since 1985. I traded a 1970 Pontiac Bonneville for it. The only thing remaining of the original truck is half the frame and most of a front fender. The rest I have replaced since I got the truck. I started off with a basic resto-mod that I completed in 1988. The truck was then a fleetside with a 350 SBC/ 4 speed combo with a prostreet look. I wish I had pictures of that but I lost the few that I had.

I got the bracket racing bug and installed a 427 truck engine in it and bracket raced it for a year. I got the wild idea of racing NHRA Super Gas and installed a cage and cut the interior up in it. I only got so far and then I met my wife and the truck sat for several years. When I started back playing with it, I wanted to go back to street driving it. I had sold the 427 in the mean time so for some reason I built an Olds 455. I drove the truck some for a few years like that until 2010 when I killed the Olds engine. I then decided I wanted to do some racing again with the truck and I built it like it is now.

The current engine is a 489 BBC with a hydraulic roller cam, 10:1 compression, Patriot heads, custom headers and is currently being switched over to EFI. The trans is a TH 400 with a full manual valve body and PTC converter. The rear is a 3:55 geared 12 bolt with a spool. The engine was built to run heavy nitrous but due to problems here and there, it has not been sprayed yet. The best time it has run with no bottle is 11.78.

Other modifications include fiberglass hood and rear fenders. The bed is home made with only stock steps on it. The bed floor is raised and is diamond tread aluminum painted black. The truck has ladder bars and the front suspension is out of a 2003 Lincoln Town car (Ford Panther). The Ford front end is almost entirely aluminum, has bigger brakes and a rack. Best of all it lost about 100# off the truck. I have had the 1973-87 Chevy front end changes but the Panther front end is MUCH better. Better brakes, steering, and turn radius. Also, needless to say, the truck sits much lower than stock.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote