View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #177
Hugh in NC

Re: 64-66 door weatherstrip-EUREKA!!!!

I just installed the Honda weatherstrip seals in my 1963. I thought I would give a few pointers to the 60-63 truck owners. The seals come with the inside as two colors, graphite black or atlas grey. The inside color is determined by the LAST letter in the parts number. Graphite black was out of stock. Atlas grey was in stock and since the interior of my '63 had been painted a dark metallic grey I went with the atlas grey weatherstrip.

Part# 72355-SVA-A01ZB is atlas grey
Part# 72355-SVA-A01ZA is graphite black

I ordered from these guys:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchO...2355-SVA-A01ZB

They were very nice to work with. I called the 800 number to inquire about stock and shipping times before I ordered. Chris there answered all my questions but I had to place the order online.

Here are 2 photos that show why the Honda weatherstrip is so good and the repop that most suppliers sell is so bad.

This is what the previous owner had installed on my truck. You can see how thick the rubber is that actually seals the door and how thin the rubber is that attaches to the door opening. This had been installed with clear silicone sealer. The rubber came off the truck easily, but the silicone gooped all around the door opening was a chore to remove. It took me about 8 hours to completely get all of the silicone off.

This is the end view of the Honda weatherstrip. The edge that seals against the door is very thin and flexible. The channel that attaches to the door opening is reinforced with steel and has that lip that holds the weatherstrip to the door opening. Someone else in this thread suggested squeezing the metal together to get a tighter attachment.

The Honda part is too short for the '60 to '63 trucks because of the knee knocker windshield. I purchased 3 door weatherstrips so that I could piece in each door. I cut out the preformed corner. The weatherstrip was about 8 1/4 inches short. I pieced it in across the door bottom.

CAUTION: Two days later when I went back into the shop, the rubber had shrunk by about 3/8 of an inch. I must have stretched it when I installed it. It is not a problem because I have plenty more from the 3rd weatherstrip that I had purchased. Just a warning.

The Honda factory joint in the rubber just happened to fall right at the windshield curve. You can just see the black line where they sealed it together.

I am very happy with the outcome of the driver's door seal. I've got another 8 hours of scraping and cleaning to get the passenger door clean.

Hugh
Hugh in NC is offline   Reply With Quote