View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #23
DANTIP

Re: eBay Cheyenne Super -- Another Fake SPID

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Beautiful truck. Chipflyer could make a perfect SPID for it, problem solved there. I would want to see the vin plate to verify it hasnt been altered and has the correct rivets for legal purposes. Obviously a large purchase like this would require me to see it personally. The Cheyenne and super badges look correctly positioned in the picture.
I couldn't help myself, I had to raise this again. Real (US-built) 1/2-ton 402-powered trucks in '72 must have the gross weight like the photo above. Notice the gross vehicle weight and front-end vehicle must be the same. This is due to a requirement in '72 for the 402-powered 1/2 ton trucks to have HD front and rear springs. The rear end gross weight must either be 3,220 or 3,500 depending on tire size.

Therefore to be a real SWB 402, the VIN tag must be correct, the dual-exhaust brackets must be properly riveted to the frame (the passenger side rear may either be bolted or riveted but the other dual brackets are riveted), the frame must have a partial VIN that matches the VIN tag the cab must have the high floor-hump, the heat shield must be fastened to the cab to protect the cab from the passenger-side exhaust manifold/pipe, and the frame has to be un-cut. It's my experience that MOST SWB big block trucks are not original. I'd be willing to bet this one is not authentic. Any takers?
Attached Images

Last edited by DANTIP; 03-03-2015 at 04:06 PM.
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote