View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #16
68c10airstream

Re: Air compressor 220v single phase wiring question

Advanced design, As a safety note be sure the starter is wired so if electricity is lost for a moment (tree falling on the line and cutting the lines as an example) that when electricity is restored that the compressor should be re-initiated from a start button or something. I wired my new tablesaw with a start/stop button and a commercial contactor and i will sum it up this way: start button puts low voltage into the magnetic circuit to start the contactor to work (contacts closed) and this MUST be a momentary switch. Now the contactor is closed in and working. The output side ( "T" side) now self feeds the magnetic circuit through the stop button. Once you push the stop button you break the magnetic circuit and the contactor opens up. This is the same as line voltage coming into the contactor opening up. Now the motor is shut off. To restart the start button must be re-initiated. Get with someone in the know to work this with the use of a pressure switch. I work at a power plant and with the amperage you are dealing with remember that all switching should be done with low voltage and this switched high voltage/high amperage. All you have to think of is this scenario. You are standing in a puddle of water that is a ground source and you touch a button that has marginal insulation qualities that is carrying 120 volts. You might weld your zipper shut. All switching in our power plant is done with 24 volts that is driven from low amperage transformers to be safe. Do it right once, and never think twice about it. Good luck, Brian F.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote