View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 AM   #12
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

This was the next trip after the Crown King run that my fan clutch failed on and Lance's battery went on its own adventure. We decided to head up to the Workman Creek area. We ran the area a couple years ago and thought it would be a good run again, so with a few adjustments to the plan, we were off.

One of the changes was the direction of travel. We decided since it was hot out to run it backward so as to get into elevation and cooler temperatures quicker. My buddy Lance's Suburban does not have air conditioning yet and with his wife in the truck, getting to cooler temps as quickly as possible would be a good thing.

Seriously, watch out for them:

Neat bridge on the Apache Trail in the Superstitions. If you look under it you can see an old abutment on the left side:

At the end of the Apache Trail we are greeted by Roosevelt Dam:

We turned onto the road heading to our destination when Lance came across the radio with something that sounded like "skateboards". I hit him back with a "what??" I didn't get a response from him, but in a moment was greeted by this sight:

These guys were coming down the hill at a velocity best measured in Mach units. Damn near took the lead nut-job out. There was four or five on boards and a Prius following with a camera filming the stupidity. Never have encountered that before...

We went up Workman Creek and stopped at one of the radioactive day-use areas to have some lunch. It was a nice quiet area with plenty of shade. Gratuitous truck pic from lunch:

Interesting bug hanging out on the bottom of the chair:

One interesting thing about having the trucks out in the wilderness is seeing how bugs react to them. My orange truck is a virtual beacon to bugs, bees and wasps. It is kind of neat in a way. While sitting at lunch a butterfly was trying to get something off of Lance's side marker lens:

Gratuitous truck pic from up by the falls:

A view from up on the fire lookout tower:

All in all it was a nice trip. We came back the next day while Lance and his wife decided to camp in a little shaded area to head back in the morning before it got too hot out. They made it back and I think the trip moved making the AC functional up on the priority list a few notches.