View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 01:16 AM   #20
swamp rat

Re: Weird Edelbrock carb noise

I think i hear a vacume leak. that will affect your idle and how the engine runs.

Edelbrock 1406 carb has a vaccume port on the rear center just above the base, this is a mnanifold vacume port meaning it has the same vacume as the manifold, it would normally be routed to brake booster but you don't have one, did you plug the port?

The Edelbrock performer intake manifold also has a vacume port behind the carb mount as well, did you plug it? I missed mine once and got that same sound.

There are 2 small ports on the front of the carb, passanger side will go to your distributor, its a ported vacume, that means the vacume changes with throttle position or as the butterflys open and close, driver side will get plugged. The big center one will go to your PCV on the valve cover, make sure you have a good PCV valve.

When you set the timing you need to unhook the distributor vacume hose and cap off the port on the carb with a port plug, buy them at the auto parts store.

You do have a knock that isn't related to vacume loss, could be a bad lifter or exhaust leak.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote