View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #346
cmabolt

Re: Project Reno - 72 cheyenne rebuild

This truck is trying to kill me! Lol

I swapped out the stock wheel studs for longer studs that would have worked, but the knurl wasn't grabbing both the hub and disc. After some research, found out a gigantic gm wheel stud was the solution.

Once I got the wheel studs figured out with the new wheels, some of the new lug nuts were cross threading on the new wheel studs despite some of them going on easily by hand. I ended up trashing about 6 lug nuts and their studs trying to get them cleaned up and working.

So I got a die to clean up all the 9/16 18 wheel studs, Literally about 75 percent of them were bad cuts. After running the die on them, I was back in business. Then realized the new studs are so long that I run out of thread with the wheels on. Luckily only about 1/4"

So, ordered up some 1/2" wheel spacers to make sure and tomorrow hope to finish this wheel blues. I was really hoping to just bolt the new wheels on. I should have known better after all the trials and tribulations, but I will get done eventually.

The correct wheel studs for aluminum wheels on the 8 lug full float axles is Dorman #