View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 01:52 AM   #1
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

1962-63 GMC Hotwheel short step

Sitting in the house watching all the rain and hail, I got bored enough to start working towards creating my first 1/64th scale 1962-63 GMC stepside shortbed. And it only took 4 (5 actually) trucks to get it done:

Here’s a mockup of the finished product:

Obviously there’s a lot more work to be done. The frame needs to be shortened, and the back of the cab built. I’m not sure I have the skills to fabricate the Buick grille bar and bumper bullets (on my real truck), but stranger things have happened! I’m also not sure what color to paint it – Blitz Black like mine, or maybe red or something colorful that might show up better on something so small.

This panel truck donated the GMC grille and front bumper:

And this truck was tubbed with deep wheels in the back so it donated the chassis:

This one had the skinny wheels shown in the previous photo. It provided the bed and rear bumper:

Before disassembly it looked like this:

And one of these offered up the cab, hood, and front fenders. This one sacrificed its glass as the first one was so dark you couldn't see through it:

It may take a while to complete as I have lawn tractor parts due to arrive tomorrow or Thursday. It’s a high priority to get back in service so it may take some time to get back to this project.