View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

1971 heat riser for big block- components and operation?

The stove pipe wasn't on the truck when I bought it long ago, and I believe I threw the shield away.
Because there wasn't one, we added a manual choke. At any rate, looks like I've scored a heat riser and shield.
Kind of stoked. Unfortunately, I don't have a thorough understanding how this operates and have some questions.

1. What are the components of this operation and how does each one function?

2. Do you know how it mounts? I believe the shield mounts to the manifold on the driver's side,
the pipe runs from the shield to the air cleaner and that's it. Pictures would be great.

3. What's the component on the air cleaner "breather tube" with a hose on it?
I suspect that's for the heat riser operation. A picture of said component on another air cleaner is below.

4. Any issues using this just "for show" and keeping the manual choke operation?
The automatic choke was disconnected when the manual choke was installed.

5. What do you recommend for restoring these pieces? A picture of the parts are below.
They look to be in great shape.

6. Any other considerations?

Thanks for any input. It's appreciated.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-18-2015 at 12:53 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote