View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #197
FarmerSid

Re: 1952 Chevy Vette Roadmaster LT1 Farm Truck Build

I got my final upper shock mounts figured out tonight. Cut out, tacked and test fitted. I called QA1 today and they gave me all kinds of measurements which lead to the selection of the DD401 coil over. It's a double adjustable with spherical bearings. Another option is the DS401 which is single adjustable with spherical bearings. I could also get the DD402 or DS402 which is double or single adjustable respectively but both with bushings. Either way, I think going with bearings will help if the mounts are not 110% perfectly aligned. The mounts need to be 1 1/4" inside.

All the above shock choices have the same 14" extended, 10 1/8" compressed and 11 1/4" - 12 1/2" recommended ride height measurements.

So with all this info I set my shock simulators to 11 7/8" eye to eye and made the upper mounts so I have plenty of clearance for upper control arm alignment and that I had lots of clearance between the mount and the coil. All said and done I have about 3/8" clearance between the coil and mount and the shock angle is about 20 degrees. The coil is 3 1/2" diameter and I used a worn out 3 1/2" hole saw to simulate the coils. The distance between the center of the top mounting hole and the top of the spring is 1 5/8" according to QA1. QA1 suggested that I keep the shock angle under 30 degrees but 15-20 would be best. I came out to 20 so that's where she will be at.

I will make a pattern of the upper mount for anyone that wants to copy my work. I have pdf's of all the parts to make the same cross member as I did. My plans use a C4 steering rack. All that you need to do is print the pattern out to scale, trace and cut it out. I measured my stock cross member and made my own from it. A good buddy Stockish shared his info with me but I ended up modifying things according to the cross member my parts came off of. My IFS is the later version which is a bit wider than the earlier version.

Anyway's, here's a few pictures of my shock simulators. The lower mount shock mounting hole is offset a bit which gives me about 3 degrees of angle adjustment by just rotating the mount 180 degrees.

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote