Thread: Ez wiring help
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 AM   #39
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Ez wiring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
Ok so I'm working on the ignition switch now which is pretty much the last of the dash except the dome light getting wired in and I'm looking at my diagrams and the only one I can't figure out is the brown/white wire from the ignition switch not sure what that wire is about? Also the harness from ez has a black wire splices from the (red) ignition switch power, not sure what this is.
The brown/white wire from the ignition switch is usually wired on the same terminal as the 12 gauge brown accessory wire. It is a small gauge wire and it is a resistance wire which runs from the key switch to the inside of the firewall block where it joins with the 16 gauge brown solid wire on the engine side of the block and runs to the external voltage regulator. If you or someone has converted the alternator to an internally regulated SI or CS then this is the wire that feeds the excitation terminal on the internally regulated alternator. It may be splice to the white wire in the EVR plug and run to terminal one on the alternator, or it may go straight to the alternator and have a resistor in-line connected to the L terminal on a CS style alternator.

This is how the key is wired. The black arrow to the left is the brown wire to accessory and the wire just below it is brown/white stripe wire. I do not know of a black wire spliced in with the red power wire. Black is usually designated as a ground wire and it certainly wouldn't be connected with a red power wire.

Name:  Cab-2-web.jpg
Views: 2178
Size:  104.5 KB

Here is the cluster connector for the gauge dash. it shows the stock wire colors and tells what terminal they go to and where they come from.
They may be different from the EZ harness you have.
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote