View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
pdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Your general ideas about urethane bushings are correct, but in application form it doesn't apply. These bushings aren't so stiff that the suspension will bind in travel. I could see them flex being hit with a hammer and as i tried to walk it into place. The difference between rubber and urethane in place of track arm bushings is negligible for everyday driving. As a track day vehicle where higher speed turns and consistent left to right weight shifting is normal, there would be a more discerning difference. I also don't understand your comparison between Nascar and street driven trucks. Their frames are MUCH stiffer than a truck frame. They need the flex of rubber to compensate for the super rigid chassis they use. Truck frames are flexible all over unless stiffened. There is also a roughly 150 mph difference in the turns they make as opposed to the turns street vehicles make on average.

will the bushings squeak? Over time I'm sure.

will you notice a difference in handling? You'll notice a greater difference changing worn out bushings to new bushings in a track arm than changing from rubber to urethane.

should you follow the example of a purpose built racecar for everyday driving? Probably not.

This post is not meant to bash you, or degrade you in any way, I'm just pointing out that rubber and urethane bushings aren't separated by huge leaps and bounds, especially in this application.
Thanks for both views. I've opted for urethane bushings for durability, in this instance. Up front I'm using them for improved handling - not that a big old truck will ever handle well!
Posted via Mobile Device
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote