Thread: Ez wiring help
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #46
ray_mcavoy

Re: Ez wiring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
Ok ha that switch it not exist any on my trans. So since I have no reverse light wire how will I go about running this?
Reproduction switches are available if your original is missing from the column. Or you could get creative and mount your own switch somewhere near the linkage in such a manner that it gets activated (contacts closed) when the trans is shifted into reverse.

The factory wiring had a 10A fuse in the fuesbox for the circuit that supplied power to the reverse lights. If the EZ wire harness has a similar fused power feed circuit for the reverse lights, just run that wire to one terminal on the reverse light switch. And then run another wire from the other terminal on the switch back to the lights.

Quote:
The ez wiring has a white exciter wire that runs from the harness to the front section which runs to post 2 and 4 on the voltage regulator then 1 and 2 are run to the alternator plug. Alternator has a red which I assume is power and a ground terminal.
You might want to double check those connections. The exciter wire should only go to the #4 terminal on the regulator (not #2 and #4). The regulator's #3 terminal is a voltage sensing wire (typically red) that goes to the main power distribution point. And the regulator's #2 and F terminals are the two that are wired directly to the alternator R & F terminals respectively.

The alternator's power output stud (often marked BAT on the case) uses a heavy gauge (usually red) wire to feed power to the main distribution point. The ground stud on the alternator isn't used in all applications since the alternator is case ground via it's mounting brackets to the engine.

Quote:
Ok I'm working on the ignition and reverse lights now. At some point I will have to wire in my tach but that's not a huge concern ATM. I'm wonder where I run power from to the dome port on the headlight switch
The dome terminal on the headlight switch (factory white wire) is a switched ground. When the knob is rotated all the way CCW, it grounds that terminal to complete the circuit for the dome light. Door jamb switches (if used) are also hooked to this same wire so they can also complete the circuit to ground and turn on the dome light.

Power for the dome light (factory orange wire) originally came from the TAIL/STOP/PARK/DOME fuse in the fusebox. This is the circuit that also feeds power to the portion of the headlight switch that controls the tail & park lights. So you can tap into this same power feed to supply power to the dome light.

Quote:
... and where I would run power from to the reverse lights. This is essentially the end of my wiring. The rear end will happen once then bed goes on but its all routed to the back already. Should I run power from the battery with an inline fuse for these connections?
If the EZ harness doesn't already have a power feed circuit for the reverse lights, you could create your own with an inline fuse.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote