View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 03:04 AM   #170
swamp rat

Re: Project 68 k10 LWB..aka "The Hulk"

I cant give you a part number of perfect length shocks but if there 2" to collapsed then the body is too long, wait until you put the full weight of the cab, bed and engine ect, the springs will settle a bit, now put a load in the back..

Even the shocks i got with my BDS 4" kit were too long, calls to them had them telling me that they use the same shocks for 4", 6" and 8" lift kits.....Really??, i made them take the rears back and i searched what they offered and found a shorter set, i still think the fronts and rears are too long but for now they are liveable at about 4" compression. I think maybe the other lift company's may do the same thing as a cost saving thing? I have pic's in my build of my dilema. One thing tho is Gas charged shocks like mine are a pretty solid ride, if i did it over i'd opt for some Bilstines or other hydraulic shocks for a smoother ride

What i would suggest is to measure the distance from one mount to the other while the frame is jacked up and the full weight of the wheels and axle are hanging below (fully extended) then measure the distance on the ground with the bed cab and body on it (static) figure you need about 5" of travel.

Ya need to find shocks that exceed fully extended by about 1" maybe 2" at most, that will give the shock the shortest body possible and the most compression distance.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote