View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Questions about mounting the heat stove onto a 396-402 BB

I picked up the parts below and have a few questions about mounting the heat stove. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. I suspect this mounts to the 3rd and 7th bolts (from the front of truck) for the exhaust manifold. Note the power steering pump is mounted to #1. I cant quite do a test fit, which brings me to number two.

2. If it mounts the way I think it does, then I need to remove the a power steering line (LH - pressure side) or bend it. This line is mounted to the frame of the truck. Maybe it's not installed quite right, but it appears there's just one way to route it. Coincidentally (not) I just ordered new repros. today. This line currently sits just 1/4" away from the exhaust manifold at its closet point. Maybe a bend or two in that line is in order. Thoughts?

3. By chance do you know the part number for your LH exhaust manifold? If a GM replacement, it's either 3994045.......... or 343787 if for A.I.R. emissions.

4. If I have to remove two bolts from the exhaust manifold to install this shield (or loosen more to prevent a problem), from your experience, will I have to replace the manifold gasket? Yeah, I'm fairly green, but learning.

5. And finally, does the hole in the shield for the stove pipe sit level? I believe it's off kilter a bit. Maybe 15 degrees to driver's side. These shields are delicate enough and I don't want to mess it up.

THANKS!

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-28-2015 at 10:12 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote