View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
Jonlopes

Re: I'm an idiot and stripped out the fuel inlet on my Q-Jet

I have replaced many Quadrajets with Carters (Edelbrock carbs are exact copies of the 1960's Carter AFB). The quadrajets are great when they are put together correctly with the small primaries for good low end and mileage and the large secondaries for power when you need it. The problem with them is I have never seen a rebuilt quadrajet that ran well. they are a source of endless frustration unless you can find someone who knows these carbs inside and out.

The carter platform is a great carb, it is easy to tune and makes good power the only complaints I see consistently is from off roaders complaining about the carb starving for gas while at an extreme angle for long periods of time which never comes up on normal roads.

For racing I do like Holley carbs and feel that the double pumper if tuned correctly will outperform most of the competition but for the price and practical plug-and-play installation the edelbrocks are hard to beat.

of course you have to remember if you ask this question of 5 mechanics you will get at least 6 different answers so your mileage may vary.
Jonlopes is offline   Reply With Quote