View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #18
luvbowties

Smile Re: I'm an idiot and stripped out the fuel inlet on my Q-Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerburglar View Post
I had a hesitation/throttle stumble under heavy acceleration so I figured I'd rebuild the carburetor and buy a new accelerator pump. The fuel line is a little cumbersome and tedious to loosen up so when I went to hook the Q-Jet back up I stripped out the fuel inlet because I'm impatient and make good decisions. I tried to re-tap it with a kit from quadrajetparts.com, and it seemed to hold the nut (that's what she said). When I hooked it back up the engine ran for a few minutes (although poorly with some skipping), but by the time I got around to the engine bay it started to throttle down and there was fuel spewing out from the fuel-line inlet. So I now I am faced with a dilemma. I am at my wits' end with this Q-Jet. My buddy has an edelbrock 1404 which I haven't seen any info about on any forums anywhere. I bought an adapter ($16 off ebay) for the intake that will fit either a holley or an edelbrock but I don't know if that 1404 will work or if I should just purchase a 1406 from Advance and be done with it. Is there any hope at salvaging that Q-Jet? From what I've read, it's a great carb when tuned properly, but it seems to be an eternal debate on here vs. other aftermarket brand carbs... To be honest, I'm ready to have a ceremonial funeral pyre with that Q-Jet and just go back to coloring with my crayons and helmet. Any help and advice would be much appreciated as always as it's starting to get nice and I want to get that sucker running. Thanks.
Must be a lot of idiots around, then, since so many have done the same thing. Your local parts house should have a self-tapping repair kit for your carb & can be installed even while carb is still on the car--for price in the teens. Care should be used when installing it, tho', . What you want to do is to tighten the thing about a 1/4turn at the time and then back it off. About every 3rd time, take it all the way out and clean the metal chips out of the threads. Keep doing that until it's fully seated, then remove it and clean all the metal chips out so they don't get into the internals of your carb. (If your fitting uses a shorty filter inside itself, toss it & install an inline one so you don't have to bother your repair again.) These repair kits work well when installed with care & caution. If you use an adapter to go from fuel line adapter to flex-line to pump, might be good idea to install the adapter first.
Sam.

Last edited by luvbowties; 05-08-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: grammar
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote