View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 12:57 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Lower fan shroud and core support mounts?????

71 Chevy 402:

I was told long ago my fan shroud is the wrong one. Well, after getting a new one it's confirmed what's on the truck is original. No harm done, there are 3-4 cut outs on the existing shroud all but one completely unnecessary, more on that in a moment. Shame too, because the top is beautiful. Also a crack in an ear. The new one is real nice.

At any rate, the shroud on the truck doesn't seem to want to reach the bottom clips. I would imagine they should go all the way in, but these don't come close. Is this because the core support mounts are bad? I'm replacing them regardless. Suddenly it makes sense why so many of these shrouds are hit by the fan. Mine is held down with two zip ties. Been good for decades. Possible just a poor design? Seems to me four bolts are better than two.

One of the cutouts on the existing shroud is for the hose line from the heater core to near the top of the radiator. Seems the hose connection and shroud are a tight squeeze, after all, someone cut the existing shroud for it (bastads). That said, the shroud tends to want to "form" into that direction (i.e., not straight up and down). May also be the core support mounts? Possibly the wrong radiator? The radiator is approx. 34 1/8" wide. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do? Update: Must be the radiator is incorrect or the inlet welded to the radiator for the heater core in doesn't suit the original shroud.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-13-2015 at 01:54 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote