View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #634
naphtali5725

Re: My new project 86 Silverado

update...

alright here's the scoop from the NC DMV inspector...

cab VIN was valid, not stolen etc. 1986 long wheel base truck

frame 1985 short wheel base, and was stolen in 1987, legally recovered, then used to build my truck

he confiscated the VIN tag that was on it

they will issue 2 new VIN tags, with a NC issued VIN... (with the same number affixed in different spots... one in door jamb, and one under the hood)
one will be affixed underhood near the brake master cylinder
one will be affixed inside the drivers door area on the cab
NOT necessary to re-VIN the frame, but those numbers will be on the title record with the new VIN's to tie them all together in one vehicle

he said it was good that I had taken it back apart, if the cab or frame was in an active theft case, and the truck was assembled, they would have taken the whole thing.

however, since everything was apart, all they would have done was either take the cab or frame by itself if either was an active theft case

once they come back in 2 weeks with the VIN's and apply them, then I can go get it re-titled in my name, whilst i wait for the title to come back, it will have to be bonded as proof of ownership until title is in hand

once title is in hand with the new VIN's, that's it, all is ok, nothing to worry about anymore

so i'm glad i went through the correct procedures, if it would have been found out during a traffic stop, or whatever... it would have been impounded, legal fees, lawyer fees etc. etc. etc. you know the deal...

that's about it. inspector suggested getting stuff like this taken care of before you drop a ton of money into it, he's seen guys heartbroken when they tow their **** away, and it takes about a year for the judicial process to get it back

FWIW

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Operations: Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Uphold Democracy

Last edited by naphtali5725; 06-02-2015 at 02:49 PM.
naphtali5725 is offline   Reply With Quote