View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Ski-me

Re: 1991 Suburban springs, questions

I think I've seen 8 lug, 16" wheels from my 2004 3/4 ton Yukon on some of the 91' era suburbans. Looks pretty decent but you do have to worry a little about backspacing.

The front 1/2 and 3/4 axles are the same (I think 87-91)....just the outside spindles and brakes are different. I swapped my 6 lug stuff over to the 8 lug front axle. That way I could keep the 6 lug. Axle shafts were the same and just slipped right in. IN the later years, I think the spline count went from 27 to 30, that's why I'm saying the newer ones.

Axle ratio is a big thing. I was doing that in the same process so found a 3/4 suburban as a donor with 4.10 gears. Swapped them in.

Rear axle is a little more tricky to keep the 6 lug. Have to find axle shafts, backing plates and drums from the newer 14SF axle with 6 lugs, pull those, put in a 1/2 thick spacer between backing plates and you are good. Just a little more involved. Our junkyards are pick and pull so I was able to piece together what I needed in the junkyard and then buy as one unit. For $100 an axle, I had a custom one out of the box. Just had to get the spacer fabricated.

That way the spring perches and shocks all line up.

You could then find a conversion u-joint but it will depend on how much axle slip you'll have still available. 14 bolt pinion is a little longer than 10 bolt so will push the slip further into t-case.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote