View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #13
davem815

Re: Ol' Green '70 GMC C2500 Father/Son

We also found the center U-joint was completely shot. This must have been where the squealing noise was coming from. First U-joint from NAPA was the wrong size, it was for a 3 speed. Installed the first cross of the 2nd U-joint, let Connor grease the needle bearings and installed the second cross. Could not get the cap pressed on all of the way. Decided something was wrong and took it completely out. I found one needle bearing laying on the bottom of the second cross's cap. We both blame each other, although I should have check it after he greased the needle bearings. 12 year olds don't have much patients to work slow! Got a third U-joint from NAPA, carefully installed it and reinstalled the drive shaft. Truck drives so much better now, without the driveline squeal.

We went to two junkyard on one day of his spring break. Picked up a bunch of misc. parts. Best parts may been shifter boot and floor mat.

I know the truck originally had base mirror because of the 3 pattern in the door. And I know the below eyeline mirror were not mounted in the correct factory locations. I found out the mirrors are different than the factory mirrors I purchased, so I guess we will stay with the mirrors we have and not drill another set of hole in the door.
Attached Images

davem815 is offline   Reply With Quote