View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #2327
In The Ten Ring

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
A Painter's tip for W.Brown :

When re painting with the backlight and windshield in place , , raise up the outer lip of the old rubber & tuck some electrical wire or 1/4" nylon rope underneath it ~ this will hold it up so your sanding , blocking & so on , will " feather " and remove that nasty old lip of built up paint etc. , leave it there when you paint too and remove it (CAREFULLY !) a few days after you paint it , this makes the edge looks nice and smooth , even with nasty old dried up rubber , helps prevent leaks and makes it easier to replace the rubber later when you get sufficient $ to buy new rubber and glass.....

This is one old Used Car Lot trick I learned to make turds look much better....

Removing the door handles , always is another simple thing that will pay HUGE dividends later when the new paint doesn't chip/peel 'round then handles in a year .......

Your truck is looking good .

10 Ring ~ you're truck is actually rather rust free ~ the core support & inner fender rust is common due to battery leakage even here in the Desert , keep at it .
The longer I am on this site, the more I want to rebuild the entire truck myself out of fear the hired man won't know these tips!

Thanks VWNate....yes that passenger side was bad and every bit as bad as I feared. I actually figured it was break apart where the bolts go when I took it off and it did just that (stoved in). I have a NOS outer, Key Parts inner, and OEM core support ready to go to the blaster and paint shop.