View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 11:47 PM   #21
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Desert Off-Road Trip 2015: White Rim Trail & Lockhart Basin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
As always, thanks for taking the time to post all the photos and story of your adventures! What a beautiful piece of this world!
Cool! Glad you like! It is very beautiful and peaceful out there. It is nice not to see any people for days. Although we did run across a few hikers on the Lockhart Basin trail. That is an entirely long funny story in its own that I don't feel like wiring...but trust me. It was funny. Lance wrote about it in his report.

Tuesday continued: It wasn’t long after we passed the derelict trailer it was time to find a spot to camp for the night. Lance spotted a 7 mile or so off shot on the map that would run us straight down to the Colorado River. It was a nice smooth high speed (30 MPH…well, compared to what we were used to) sandy ride most all the way bottom. The funning thing is when you look at the SPOT GPS map of the trip this campsite we were only about 5 miles as the crow flies from where we camped the night before at Chicken Corners but it is an all day trip to get there.

Trying to resolve the world problems again

Lance snapped these early Wednesday morning.

This is nothing, but there were sections on the sandy stretch back to the main trial that were so dusty you could hardly see two feet on front of you. You almost have to have 10 minutes between each rig to keep from dusting you out.

Then out of nowhere we came across this old Chrysler that has been chopped in half, frame extended and apparently fitted with the dual wheel axle that was laying a few feet away from it. Not sure what kind of mule someone created back in the day but it sure made for some neat photographs

Lance got some great photos of it

The last photo stop before we headed our separate ways was this creek with a spectacular water fall

This is my buddy Bill. I’m sure you’ve all seen him on many of my pictures over the years. No matter how big of badass you think you are, he is a bad ass. That chair doesn’t slow him down one bit and keep in mind he pilots that big Dodge diesel of his with hand controls over every obstacle we did. The guy is a machine!

Somebody recently made a little camp spot and fire ring down in there. Not sure how good of idea that was during flash flood season

Another great photo by Lance. Looks like Mopar Accessory commercial

About an hour down the trail was the part we had all been dreading for several days. The part where we come to end and have to air up our tires and head our separate ways. Lance had to be at work early the next morning in Phoenix, Tony’s (Jeep Rubicon) had to get back to Phoenix for his daughters graduation, Bill needed to get back to Pueblo that night and Ty with the Dodge sporting a camper had to get back to Pueblo for a graduation before he headed back to California. Then Don and I decided to stick around the area one more night. After we air up a few of us pedaled back to Moab for lunch at the Moab Diner before actually spitting off.

Here is the GoPro collection of the second part of Lockhart Basin. 0 to 1:30 is a section that had me a bit worried when I saw THIS video before we left on the trip. For the life of me I don’t know why that guy in the Jeep XJ took the line he did. This spot was nothing actually, just point and shot. (That is not the only idiotic video of Lockhart on Youtube. Check THIS ONE out. Talk some driving skills that need honing but hey, at least his amateur video production skips are top notch). Then there is the huge rock step you basically fall off at the 4:00 mark. This two-step rock wall was about 20” tall and perfectly spaced to my wheel base where the front and rear axles fell off at the same time at the 4:06. That was a HARD landing! If I didn’t bend or break a leaf spring or anything there…..it just isn’t going to happen. The only casualty was a pop can in the fridge that exploded and drenched everything in there. I’m glad the GoPro didn't pick me up shouting “WHAT THE @#CK!!!!!!” after we landed . Afterwards I noticed the other guys in front had gone around that drop off by using a chicken trail far off to the right. At the 6:20 mark I failed to make a simple climb up another little wall and the truck shot backwards a few feet when I abandon the crawl. Then I discovered I had forgotten to shift back in to 4wd after a flat section where I had been cruising in 2 hi for a while. Once I dropped it back into 4 hi it was an easy climb (SURE WISH POSTING VIDEOS HERE DIDN'T HAVE TO BE SO DAMN DIFFICULT!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2PhQ9ZvAkk

Conclusion coming soon…………
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote