View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #743
Hblee

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Thanks for the kind words. I've read all of your build thread, Ogre's and blue57's plus parts of others and have a general idea of where I want to go. I do have a question about where your big block mounts. Typically #1 cylinder is lined up with the front spindle, give or take. I see that you have plenty of firewall clearance but I've seen other big block transplants where they've had to modify or put in a different firewall to clear the valve covers. Any advice or suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
Welcome Hblee. Sounds like you certainly have some sentimental value in this truck of yours, I'm terribly sorry to hear about the loss of family members, those can be tough hurdles to get over and move forward.

I keep seeing posts and members from Texas, I believe my Dad bought mine from the south of Dallas area sometime back in the mid to late 1980's. I have found some pictures of it when he bought it, I'm gonna copy and post them and perhaps someone may remember my truck from back then.

You have struck up a good point I have a difficult time trying to get non-auto enthusiast to realize, the original type restoration vs. a Hot Rod restoration. I also have a '65 Corvette in need of a fairly original restoration, when I mention this people who ask what's my next project they imagine years and countless hours again. It's the personalization of the Hot Rod for me that makes me stop at every point and wonder what I can do now that I'm at this part of the project. With the Corvette, I grab the catalog, the credit card and install when the part shows up, done.

I have to agree, this forum has many great builds and information for anybody looking for ideas or just seeing an after market product that you need but didn't know it existed. I know I've learned a lot from seeing other's projects being built.

Frame is the foundation for any build, it's good you have that as a stepping stone. I can't say how much easier life will be if you get a Mig welder. I know there are many different opinions on gas or flux welding wire. I started with gas and never used the flux core so I have no opinion either way.

I will say, for every skill you learn, welding, grinding, body work, mechanical, ect, it is a leaping board for your skills and capabilities to keep growing.

Hblee, good luck with your truck and I as well as everyone else will be looking to see you moving along and perhaps having your own build thread. Jim