View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #410
SS Tim

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leh72super1500 View Post
I spent some time yesterday investigating the inside of my glove box door and I can say with 100% certainty that there is evidence of shiny beige paint revealing itself underneath the black. The door was painted at some point in time (perhaps when the truck was new) to cover up the beige. The SPID was then retyped and placed on the inside of the door. The re-typed SPID shows some age perhaps indicating that this modification was done earlier rather than later in the trucks life.

I wish I could say the same for the gauge bezel. There is no evidence of it ever being beige. Of course it could have been replaced rather than painted at some point. It looks like these bezels where manufactured all in chrome and then the face painted black or beige over the chrome. In these pictures you can see the fine paint line between the black and the chrome.
It looks as though your theory is correct for these plaid GMC's. Not that I am interested in changing it back to beige, but do you have any thoughts on what the color code this would be for the beige?
That was an unexpected turn of events, not finding beige/fawn paint on the cluster bezel. Wish I had an answer but without more Oshawa samples its pretty had to do more than speculate. But to generalize there is much stronger support now for the Highlander plaid GMC's to have had the same glovebox and cluster bezel color as the parchment trim trucks than when I srated my reearch. The color itself should be a Dark Sandalwood (Ditzer 233374???)and if needed I can take my door in for color matching.
Thank You very much for taking the time to dig into your vehicle.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote