View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #250
Z10

Re: 72 GMC Short Step Build

Phase II Begins

Well life has a way of getting in the way and Phase II is no different. With my schedule and Car Boss's schedule, time has slipped a bit. But, that all changed this afternoon, Phase II began.

Took the 72 over to Car Boss's shop and we got the rear up in the air, unbolted the bolts holding the diff to the trailing arms and got the 2" lowering blocks installed. Took a bit of coaxing but a couple of hours later they're installed. We then decided it was time to get the axles out to prep for the Wilwood rear brakes and the Powertrax rear installed.

If you've kept up with this build, you'll recall several short cuts that where inflicted on the engine mounts, firewall, and even the speaker system, which have all been corrected. One of the last subsystems that had not been touched was the rear diff. I should have know that this would turn out to be tampered with also. We pop the diff cover and were greeted with a thin red fluid and not the heavy gear lube we were expecting. ATF transmission fluid? Yep. Who knows how long it's been in there, but for sure the last 3 years that I've owned it. Well at least the diff cover and and gears look really clean.

Here's a pic of the diff cover. You can see where the fluid level was. Nice and shiny. Now why in the world would someone do this?

Double EE came by after we had started and was presented with my new sound system to start planning for.

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i

Last edited by Z10; 04-03-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote