Thread: Emissions rant.
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #32
MagmaJct

Re: Emissions rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
It's all State-Run, although the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality [ADEQ] is privatized to an extent that their 'technicians' are not state employees, requiring pensions and benefits, etc. Still a monopoly, and they are not allowed to help repair. Only the manager is allowed to give you advice on how to adjust your timing and carb, etc.
One kid shoved a big mirror under my '68 C/10 Stepside, one time. "What're you looking for?" I asked. "The Catalytic Converter," he replied. "Well you've got a couple of years to wait, Pal. This is a 1968. The 'Cat' hasn't been invented yet."
It doesn't happen so much anymore, but they used to, from time to time, roll the fan up to the front of my rear engine, air cooled VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlSmokey View Post
the only thing that failed on me was the idle. the hydrocarbons was 438 when it should be 400, and the carbon monoxide was 7.47 when it should have been 5. is there anything that you guys could reccomend on what to fix on my carb. i am not a pro at carb work so any help at all would be appreciated. also a little side note, i do not have a tach, so i do not what to set my idle speed at on the carb, i just set it to the point where it's smooth in the truck, but if there is any tips to setting it I would love it. thanks guys!
Your idle mixture is too rich. There are techniques to lower it that have been covered greatly on this forum.

HC is HydroCarbons. It is UNBURNED fuel. This can occur under any of the following conditions:
  1. Ignition misfire.
  2. Mixture too rich, combustion process RUNS OUT of oxygen, leaving unburned fuel!
  3. Mixture too lean, spark plug can't fire too lean a mixture, so what HC is present goes down the exhaust. Idle will likely be rough.

CO is Carbon Monoxide. Is it PARTIALLY BURNED fuel. This can occur under any of the following conditions:
  1. Mixture too rich, combustion process RUNS OUT of oxygen to make CO2, so it makes CO instead.
Because CO is PARTIALLY BURNED fuel you know it's not misfiring. If it were misfiring, the CO would be extremely low, and HC would be high.

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote