View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #245
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

The display dash is pretty cool stuff, probably a bridge too far for me though. I do want to keep the actual gauges a traditional needle and dial affair, though I do realize that the gauges I plan to use (Speedhut) are still microprocessor controlled, so the reality is that they are really sort of the same deal as electronic.

Dakota Digital makes a little all in one vacuum fluorescent display for motorcycles that I am planning to incorporate into my cluster. The DD unit has a graphical tach, digital speedo, odometer, signal and high beam indicator, and a speed vs rpm based gear indicator as well as a clock, fuel gauge, and some programmable idiot light functions. Though I plan to have all the gauge functions repeated as "analog" gauges.

Name:  Dakota Digital Pod.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  87.4 KB

I do not plan on using the casing at all.

It really has to do with the gear indicator and odometer than anything else, The Speedhut speedometer has, like most electronic speedometers these days, a cheesy LCD display for the odometer and since they do custom, my plan is to have them do one dial face with the LCD area open so I can set the gauge up the first time and another without the window and just bury it under the dial. Having a Vacuum fluorescent odometer incorporated into the cluster but separate from the gauge, to me, feels a bit more OEMish. Also my 6 speed 4L80E and paddle shifter doesn't really lend itself to anything other than a speed based or some TCU programed method of indicating gear and I really want to have an indicator that tells me what gear I'm in vs. what is selected.

The dash is a whole thing unto itself which I've not gotten into in this thread much. I plan on doing a machined gauge cluster with the gauges mounted behind a single pane of acrylic in a layered array. I've measured it all out and I should be able to squeeze 2 4.5in gauges, speedo and tach, with the tach a reverse wind, and both with rotated faces so they land with the needles pointing at each other. With the corners slightly tucked under the 2 big gauges I should be able to fit 3 2.25in gauges outside of those and another 3 slightly tucked under those on each side. This gives me a total of 14 gauges in the cluster, 6 of which (on the left) will be individual calibration vacuum gauges for the individual throttle bodies.

The center of the dash and falling into a center console will be modular panels so the electronics can evolve over time, each panel I am planning to be about 1"x9" or some multiple of that (2"x9", 3"x9", etc..). This way I can put in DIN and Double DIN pieces, or switch panels, or AC controls or vents, or whatever.

Parking brake will be an electronic unit as will the main P-R-N-D selector with the paddle shift manual override. The selector is a standard piece from Powertrain Control Solutions, the same company that makes the 6 speed TCU I'll be using (they also made the valve body). Here's a pic:

Name:  PCS-P-R-N-D.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  25.0 KB

...and the E-Stopp electronic parking brake which simply pulls the parking brake cable when you push a button:

Name:  E-Stopp Parking Brake.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  29.6 KB

I think I've also mentioned in this thread somewhere that the exhaust will be incorporating an internally by-passable muffler and I'm using the Ridetech Select series coilovers which are also electrically controllable.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote