View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #692
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Post Your Straight Six Pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick copper View Post
Well for some reason or another when I originally got the truck the block was the Alpine green and the head and valve cover was chevy orange. Who knows. But when I cleaned it up and repainted I thought the green color looked better against the orange/copper color of the truck. However after the rebuild I will be going another route. Stay tuned.
The Distributor is one of those really really expensive (sarcasm) FleaBay deals. Looks and works great though, except never could get the vacuum advance to work properly. That may have been operator error though.
Sounds like the PO just stuck a '67 -'68 head on a '63 lower block. All do-able of course. The '63s had a forged iron crank with 6 lobes. The '67s and later had cast steel cranks with 12 counterbalance lobes. Better balanced, but the early ones could be 'knife-edged' for frictionless splashing thru the oil sump. It's a drag or racing thing, from Leo's Grimoire of L6 Black Majick.

Your truck, your colors, no problem.

Most of these hi-perf aftermarket distributors have a variable adjustable vacuum advance can. I think you can use a 3/32nd" allen key to dial in vac advance adjustments. All the way clockwise is O* additional advance IIRC. Crane Cams used to have good instructions you could download. You might try Jegs or Accel's websites for that data.

Your red distributor looks like a Mallory or MSD. I looked one up on the internet, but it looked like you need the MSD box to play with their distributor. Also listed for $329. About 3.2 times more than I want to pay.

On the way home today, my 292 started running hot, then cut out at about 45 - 50 MPH. [Air temp about 100*. 40% humidity. Uphill run. Truck parked in sun during 7 hour shift.] I coasted into a Safeway parking lot, turned off the Ign Switch, re-started again and it started up. I was about 3 miles from home, and I made it driving carefully.

L6s very rarely will vapor lock.
I think my Pertronix Ignitor II is cooked. Looked like an unusual eccentric wobble. Could be the water pump going too.
I'll either get a new HEI or try the old points distributor for comparison.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote