View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #14
BK4020

Re: 84 GMC straight 6 repower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice tractor, really stinks about the crack. I have your kind of luck too! Haha I bought a 52 A a couple years ago to use to brush hog. I got a 3pt and got it installed to find out the tractor had bad PTO drive gears. Of course you have to split the tractor to do it too. So I got a Super H to mpw with. Maybe someday I'll fix the hydros on the Deere. Or just turn it into a puller for the kids.
Yeah that sucks about your A, would be a little bit of screwing around to fix that too. It seems with these old tractors when you open them up or tear one thing apart most things are "is it worth getting new or fixing it for what I'll be using it for?" And the parts always seem to be going up too.

Anyways had a little bit of time to screw around with transmission and transfercase, kind of mocked up some cardboard to make a mount for the tcase shifter handle. Don't know if I like it yet. I thought about drilling and taping that big cast iron boss that protrudes out the side of the casing on the right rear side but then I questioned if that would hold up. Either the cast iron would get to thin or the pivot pin would be to small if I did that. Havent looked at to many other setups, has anybody done this?

Also ordered the 5th gear nut lock for the nv4500 that pretty much gurantees the nut cant back off. I didn't pull the nut off but I assume its the stock mainshaft, with the stock mainshaft would I have to worry about it failing not being fully splined or is the 5th gear nut usually just the problem? Hoping to get the tractor engine back together tonight and if everything goes right, back in the tractor tomorrow. I don't know about everyone else but its pretty hot and humid here.
Attached Images