View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #495
cmabolt

Re: Project Reno - 72 cheyenne rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen View Post
It looks absolutely stunning! I'm with you on the exhaust. You want it the way you want it. It's not the tech's blood sweat and tears that went into building this truck the way you want it. It's not his call to deviate from your wishes...Kinda pisses me off, and it's not my truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7dee2 View Post
What a purrty truck!

I agree with Mike 100%! You would think they would have called you for the okey dokey prior to modifying the job?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
My duals have always went between the transfer case and frame on the passanger side, never given me any troubles with the fuel line i have passing thru the same area, its a small area but its been done many times..

Well picked the truck up yesterday and drove it a little more. I must say, I went to get it and had a full head of steam, ready to make him redo it. When I got there he still had it on the lift where I left it. I think he may have anticipated a bad reaction. Much to my surprise, it looks great! The guy just did an awesome job. It is also very serviceable which is huge for me. Take a look. Yeah it's different then most setups, but I am happy with it.
Passengers side.

Drivers side

H pipe

tailpipes

I took the opportunity to drive her some more and wow, she has some balls. the 373's and sm465 are a good combo. In third gear she really pulls hard. The exhaust sounds great. Not too loud unless you really lay into it. The 44 mufflers have a little slap which I don't like, but it's in a very small rpm range. before and after they sound really throaty. I will upload a good audio file. Talking in the cab was also very pleasant.

So once I got her home, it was back to fixing the issues. The list is as follows:
Gauges don't work and keep popping fuses.
Horn stay on all the time.
windshield wipers don't work.

After doing some research, I found that the horn issue is a common one with the after market nostalgic grant steering wheels. I cut out a piece of thin plastic that matched the shape of these two pieces.

the brass retaining tabs on the contact ring (right) ground out on the hub (left) and that is the issue. The plastic acts as an insulator between the two pieces. Problem solved! I used thin clear plastic from packaging of a saw blade I purchased at lowes.

Next, the gauges.... I disassembled the dash panel and put in a new fuse. Everything works except the temp gauge. I assume a post on something was grounding out. So I sleeved all the gauge posts with rubber and felted the dash panel. I think this will do the trick. The temp gauge is fine so classic instruments is sending a new sender to me.

Much to my horror, the wiper motor had to be removed for bench testing. All the wiring seemed fine, but not sure it was getting a good ground. I decided to get it out just in case it needed to be replaced. Well, glad I did. I benched tested and it was fine. I then decided to do a little digging and open up the washer pump.
This is the inside of the washer motor filled with sand from when it got sand blasted several years ago.

Turns out i had ordered a replacement and had one in the garage ready to install. So I made a new ground strap on the body of the motor, swapped the old washer pump for a new one, and back in she will go.

Hopefully next week I will be able to get her inspected. Today I hope to wrap up the electrical gremlins and put the last coat of epoxy on my wood pieces.

Last edited by cmabolt; 07-26-2015 at 04:31 PM.
cmabolt is offline   Reply With Quote