View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 01:15 AM   #1
Gromit

'70 C10 Bench Seat Foam-Liking When the GF Skooches All the Way Over

Okay, here are a few photos of how I did my own seat foam from Home Depot.

Its a work truck so don't get all fussy on me

I wanted to keep my original bench seat and the main goal of the whole project was so the girlfriend could skooch all the way over and clip into her own little seatbelt right there in the middle next to me

The suppliers wanted way too much for seat foam and I got this idea from Jeff Lilley Customs in Texas to DIY my own

1. Remove and cut a uniformly thick 3" slice out of the profile of the original seat foam - both the bottom and back to obtain the seat foam profile
2. Use these slices as patterns to make a 1/4" thick plywood or tempered hardboard profile for each (one for the seat, one for the back).
3.Obtain 3 sheets of 3" thick by 6' long by 2' wide polyurethane foam
3. Lay the tempered hardboard pattern on the new foam and draw or trace the outline of the pattern using a sharpie
4. Cut the foam into the shape of the pattern using a very sharp butcher knife or electric carving knife (or bosche foam jigsaw if you are rich)
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have enough slices of profiled foam to reach across the entire seat and back.
6. Glue the slices together to form the bench bottom and the bench back using 3M super 77 spray glue
7. Let dry and then use a 40 grit surform or sander to smooth the foam into the shape of the original
8. Voila! New Seat Foam - the glued joints will be stronger than the original foam and won't affect the flexibility (much)
9. Cost $6 for tempered hardboard; $75 for foam; $6 for Super 77 3M spray glue - Total $87 compared to almost $500 from parts houses for replacement foam
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote