View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 01:29 AM   #321
JJorgensen52
Simple? What's simple?

Re: New project! The "Red Herring"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Excellent resource! Saved in favorites. Thanks JJ!
You betcha! I get enough help from y'all it's nice to be giving now and again

Got the fuel tank bolted up today:

Couple notes on this:
1. It would have been easier to just run a piece of tubing (1" square 16ga) across the rear of the tank, but since I'm installing a trailer hitch on the truck and it wanted to land in exactly the wrong place with regards to those bolts, I made this funny cantilevered arrangement.
2. You may note the tank looks canted up at the front. It is, though not as badly as it appears. I am going to shim the front mount down with a couple washers to make that less of a slope.
3. I'm not a huge fan of how low the tank hangs, but once the bumper and hitch are up there it will be much less visible. From the bottom, the Jeep tank mount is actually a skidplate - and a legit one at that. It's stamped from about 12GA !

This is a stock '93 S10 4.3W (CPI) fuel sending unit. It uses the same pump as the Vortec 350 / LT1 cars, so more than adequate to feed the LS. What you see here is that I took the float arm off and rotated the float 180 degrees (viewed from above, a stock one would point left in this photo), because it was hitting the sump inside the tank.

And here it is dropped in the tank. Note that the original Jeep index points are at 12 and 5 o'clock, I had to rotate it counterclockwise to clear the fuel lines on the cross sills and the float to not hit the sump.

The Jeep tank is 3/8" deeper than the S10 unit, but I don't think that will be much of an problem.

One other issue is the fuel fill. The Jeep one is 1", and it has a 3/4" vent right next to it. Since my vent is on the sending unit, I'm thinking I may use both those inlets to connect to my fill neck - which is 1-3/8". I'm going to have to make a funky elbow arrangement to go around the frame anyway, so that won't be too terrible I don't think.

On to the next step! I'm going to work on getting the various ancillary stuff mounted under the hood - airbox, power steering reservoir, fuse panel, that kind of thing. Once that stuff is tied down, I'll probably move on to the exhaust system.
'66 Impala SS convertible 327-QJet-glide (4 speed swap one of these days...) Photos
'69 CST/10 4x4 SWB Stepper 350 2bbl - NV4500/NP241C (Broken Truck!)
'72 Sierra Grande 2WD LWB fleetside 350-TH350 Refresh
'99 K2500 Silverado RCLB 5.7 Vortec - NV4500/NP241C (Daily)
'99 K2500 Suburban 7.4 Vortec - NV4500/NP246 (still working out the bugs)
SOLD
'71 Custom/10 2WD LWB fleetside - '72 GMC K/3500 Dually (Sold to redryder)
JJorgensen52 is offline   Reply With Quote