View Single Post
Old 08-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #249
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
I wanted the E-STOPP brake system, but I heard it takes (relatively speaking) forever to engage... almost 10 seconds. Its about $500. too....
The E-STOPP is actually only one of several aftermarket solutions and there is OEM parts that also do the same thing. That said, I'm not sure that a 10 sec engagement is really a problem for me given that the trans will still have park. I have probably set a parking brake in a car with an automatic trans less times than I have fingers and toes and the 'Vette brakes I'll be using use an internal parking drum in the rotor that is, frankly, slightly less stout than the drums on my Honda 250 dirt bikes, which themselves are barely adequate for the less than 300 lb bike they are on. So, they really are parking brakes and not any sort of a real panic emergency brake.

My plan was maybe to just auto engage them when the ignition was off. My father drilled into me that the parking brake is either something you use every time or absolutely never use at all, because if you don't use it every time the cable gets sticky and doesn't disengage all the way and wears out your rear brakes. So if I did use the electronic version it would probably either be a button I never push because it engaged automatically, or a button I never push because I simply don't use it. Is it worth $500 if that is the case? I don't know, but it just seems like not having a parking brake at all just seems wrong, no? Especially since I already have all the parts at the wheels to make them work.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote