Old 08-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Ammeter not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
Attachment 1434248

Attachment 1434249
I did a search and came up with this post. I too have not had a working ammeter the 3+yrs. I've owned my '67. I knew it didn't work and used the dead battery as my meter LOL.Replaced alt.& ext.regulator. My question is where are the fuses. It has been told they're behind the rad support. I can't find them there on the '67. Also the wire schematic vetvet supplied is great but my junction block on the passenger fender only has 2 wires.The battery/charge voltage is low sitting high running the alt.is charging. So where are the fuses,anyone have a photo for this confused dude.I am not an electrician!!!!
The alternator side fuse is usually near the voltage regulator and the horn, and the battery side is usually just downstream of the junction block on the fender. See my next answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
Attachment 1434250
This is the junction block on the ol'e 67 2 wires
I see your junction block has only two wires, the fusible link from the battery post and the charging wire from the alternator junction in the harness. Look at my diagram in the post above. It shows the wires and the fuses but not their actual locations.

Now here is what I'm thinking, My 67 does not have either of these wires or fuses because it came from the factory with the charging light dash cluster which does not have an ammeter or the wiring or fuses. I believe someone ahead of you may have slapped in a battery gauge dash and didn't know how to convert to it so they didn't add the wires or fuses.

You should be able to see the two small wires going to the firewall block or at the cluster plug on pins 1 and 12. If they are not in the harness you'll have to add them and the fuses. I also see a lot if corrosion on the fender junction bolt that you need to clean up, but you can do that later.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote